Need Help: Diagnoses on Bi-Polar Disorder.

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Anarcho Union, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

I believe I have over the last year devolped a nasty case Bi-Polar disorder. I asked my friend Doc, who is indeed a trained and experinced psychologist and he agrees that im showing strong signs of Bi-Polar Disorder 1.
    the mood swings are crazy. I go from having a good time to becoming either extreamly depressed, easly irritared, or randomly angrey. The swings seam to follow up on eachother and I can almosy prodict what will happen next.
    its ussaly trigured by social interactions and leads me through a few phases before returning to normal.
    is anyone experinced enough to help me?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Find a face to face professional in your area. In fact, find a few. See if you can get a free first session - if it wouldn'be covered by insurance. Keep going to professionals until you get the feeling/impression, that continuing with one would be good. Try people with different approaches.

But anyone with the skills to help you shouldn't try to help you online.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

doc is my face to face and he does it for free.
    family friend.
    i just want some second opionions

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Try out self-diagnosis....

And, again, people online shouldn't venture diagnoses. If they do, they probably are not professional.

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

You know most of the time that Rhetoric is spread by those that call what they do a profession where they get paid to make the diagnosis. It would be very difficult to suggest they were commenting purely for the concern of people making the wrong diagnosis and not because they feel that their position is threatened.

(I don't even need to mention the margin of error between a professional and a "self informed amateur" is only about 5%)

9. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I know a whole shitload of people who self diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, and were later diagnosed with same.

10. Doreen Valued Senior Member

I actually hate the whole medical model for emotional problems. I think there are areas that are useful, but the whole thing is philosophically weak and, wow, also profitable. That said, asking random people over the internet for advice about whether he has Bipolar disorder is just silly. The conception of the disorder is one made by professionals. Other people have less experience using the criteria. If you want those criteria aimed at you, you might as well go to the people trained to use them and who are used to dealing with differential diagnosis.

If someone wants advice about what to do with certain emotional problems, well, that makes sense to me. Open up to people on the internet, lay and professional alike. But once you want feedback on whether you match the criteria that's set up in the DSM, it seems silly to me to have people with little experience weigh in. Even sillier to have people do it over the internet.

I gave him the criteria himself, so he could decide. At least he actually has living experience of himself and his problems. Puts him in a better position than both online lay people and professionals.

I could take this as vaguely aimed my way. I do not use the DSM, nor to I lump people in categories.

You got some links to back this up?

And who decides if people 'really' have the disorders? What group is that? IOW who is the referee of this study? Were they themselves professionals? If they were, well....that tells you something. If they weren't....how very odd.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  11. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Sure. Which is precisely why I gave the guy the criteria to work with himself, herself.

We get to see some words on the page. He gets to live with himself. If he wants to play diagnosis guessing, he's better off checking the criteria himself than taking guesses over the internet.

12. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

I have, indeed, been officaly and proffesional diagnosed with Bipolar Diosrder 1. it sucks.
    and so the jounery begins

13. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

I personally don't really believe in "bi-polar" disorders - and if it does exist it's probably rare. I don't know a single person that doesn't have mood swings of some sort... but everyone copes with them differently. Drinking and drug usage in general is a coping mechanism for a lot of people.

I just feel that when someone is branded with such and such a disorder, a lot of times that person will relinquish a lot of their responsibility for their actions and not work on any problems within their power that might be the cause of a lot of their behavior. Labeling most times seems to lead to resignation. Why not identify the behavior that's the problem and investigate to see if there's a source or root to it?

Maybe you actually have whatever bipolar 1 is? I don't know. Just remember, psychology (or is this psychiatry that recognizes bipolar?) as we know it today has only been around for about 100 years, so there's reason to believe mistakes are still made.

14. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

its a mental diesease with abnormalitys in the brain. So its flat out stupid to say that it doesnt exsist. Ive devopolped so i understand what normal emotions feel like and what the bipolar disorder does. Manic depression is severe and extreamly difficult to deal with.

15. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

Like I said... it could exist and maybe you have it... I personally don't believe a majority of the people diagnosed with bipolar have a mental "disease". I bet if I went to enough psychiatrists I could get diagnosed as bipolar. Just my opinion man... don't mean to offend.

16. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

It just angers me because i had someone else yesterday try and tell me i was using it as an excuse. I wish i was.

17. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately I don't. However I can tell you where I got the 5% figure from. It had been a reported on the BBC for some study that had been done that brought into question just how Professional a Professional is, and why they should be listened to compared to just an Avid Enthusiast, Amatuer or just plain Researcher.

The outcome was that through their various tests was based upon how many errors their guineapigs made and the verdict was that the saying "To Err is Human" is probably best as a generalised term rather than "To Err is Unprofesional" since it was proven Professionals aren't immune to error.

One thing though Doreen, You do realise that my statement was not aimed at you personally, my statement was just a generalised point that Professionals will suggest they are worth the money by terming themselves professional and claiming others can't do their job.

On the actual subject of Bipolar Disorder, I have a hypothesis I would like to collect the data on to disprove or prove. The Hypothesis is based on the understanding that over the past century, mankind has grown more akin to using radiology for entertainment, communication and surveillance. While some frequencies are maintained as being protected, the amount of frequencies used for these tasks has expanded and the advent of digital by no means has slowed this.

I would concern that any biologicals makeup involves at it's very base DNA (Deoxyribonucleic Acid), now I could be wrong in the assumption but to my knowledge any Acid that is excited becomes unstable. It's possible to excite an acid through temperature, this is done because Thermal Dynamics and how the acid molecules respond. The same response can actually be done through the usage of Frequency in my opinion.

Now I mention this because the brain and in fact the body is usually coined at about over 60% water. In fact the brain functions on the usage of chemistry.
    Now it can be hypothesised that a person and their brain surrounded by a matrix of all these different "invisible" but present frequency levels, could in fact fing their physical makeup responding like an excited acid.

I guess what I'm trying to say in short is the usual concern in regards to Bi-Polar and Schizophrenia is that the brain chemistry is wrong which is why there is a condition, I hypothesis the reason for it being wrong is greatly elevated by living in an an environment with heavy levels of radiofrequency.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  18. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

IMO that's just poop. If you get diagnosed with something for sure then you know what is wrong and you can get appropriate help.

If you had a physical injury would you reject a medical diagnosis and work on it yourself? No, of course not. Same goes for your brain.

19. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Well, I still find the study an odd one. Some sort of panel went through what the professionals and lay people's diagnoses were. This panel was treated as if they knew the truth. Wanna bet they were professionals? Further, of course professionals make errors.

Sure and there is definitely truth in this. HOwever their real job is to help people. Diagnosing is just a tool - and not necessarily a good one - that they use more than other people. You have one group that uses a tool regularly and another that does not and generally the former group will be more skilled. Even if the tool is a philosophically weak one.

I don't know if it comes from this or something else, but I do believe that we get 'disorders', often, because society does not fit us. Then instead of learning from the way society does not fit us, we force ourselves and others to fit society.

20. Doreen Valued Senior Member

But they are not diagnosing your brain, in most cases, they are diagnosing your mind. They go by patterns in behavior and what they consider normal and thus not normal. Not that long ago women who were disatisfied with lives as concubine housekeepers - iow white middle class women - were considered in need of medication if they were not pleased with their roles. The whole set up of psychiatric diagnosis is biased toward pathologizing individuals. It cannot and does not look at society as a whole. It presumes that if you have a problem, you are the problem. Despite their own history of problematic diagnoses where this was precisely the blind spot.

21. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

I don't believe at all that you're faking these mood swings and I don't believe that you're using it as an excuse. All I'm saying is that when someone gets diagnosed with a "disease" - especially one of the mind which we still know very little about - and truly believes they have it, they often times cease looking for answers and usually end up conforming their life to suit their new found "disease". In some situations, especially with physical diseases, this is a necessary solution, but I'm just skeptical about all the people who are diagnosed with all these new mental disorders in which only thing that will fix them is drugs...