Are schizophrenes violent?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Aria84, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Aria84 Registered Senior Member

Are people with schizophrenia really more violent than normal people?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Who claims they are?
    http://www.schizophrenia.com/poverty.htm

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

i would have to say no.. I am not violent. and drs said that I am Schizo...some of my friends are either the same or bi-polar, and I have to say that bi-polar was more violent

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Not necessarily, but sometimes they are unable to differentiate real threats from illusions.

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Aria84,
    You've been asking alot of questions about mental illnesses, Neurosis, Schizophrenia etc It would suggest you are trying to learn about a condition or conditions that are effecting a relative, loved one or even yourself. (If it's yourself or a close family member like a child, be very careful with online diagnosis making.)

You can talk to me via PM if you like.

As for "Are Schizophrenic's violent?", you could answer that with "Are humans violent?". Everybody has the capacity to be violent, however it's dependent upon the persons self-control as to whether they lash psychotically out during a temper, or rationalise that no good can come from being violent.

What usually causes violence in people is either an emotional overload or because their body chemistry is unbalanced compared to a normal non-violent person. Occasionally people that play sport can become "violent" to the opposition, this is a classic example of how the body chemistry factors and can override rationalisation like "it's just a game".

As for does this suggest a greater or lesser chance for a Schizophrenic to be violent, for the most part Schizophrenic's have a problem interpreting things clearly which can cause frustration, this could cause them to be emotional, more so because it's only them that can observe what they see or feel.

Frustration however is more likely to cause dispare than a uncontrollable dangerously violent psychotic episode.

9. Idol Registered Member

Schizophrenia is just an empty category in order to discriminate people. Do you want to add violence to the diagnosis? Because schizophrenia does not exist apart from an arbitrary construction of mental surpressors, something like more violent people with a nonsense diagnosis is a farce.

Apart from that, people tend to be discriminated because of their greater property of dopamine but they do not necessarily have more noradrenaline which is responsible for aggressive behaviour.

By the way to discriminate the more aggressive people like the more psychic people is like to discriminate the more intelligent people like the more creative people. The valence of positive and negative is of course determined by the average. These are categories of human existence and not of good and evil. To be more aggressive could mean to do better in sports.

10. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Empty category?

Does it not?

I think you'll find that "more psychic" is a meaningless term. More of nothing is still nothing.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  11. Idol Registered Member

Of course the category schizophrnia is not empty but it´s filled with discirminatory content, e.g. the belief in parapsychic activities. It is just a construction which deserves to categorize anormalities in opinions of reality ("Weltanschauungen") as anormal. You do have the opinion that mediumism and all that does not exist but that´s nothing to the inner perspective of people who feel that there voices are real, what they of course are. (You´ll laugh).

12. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Um no. "Schizophrenia" and "belief in 'parapsychic' activities" are not synonymous.

So what? Yes, some people firmly believe the "psychic stuff" exists, but not all are schizophrenic. And vice-versa.

It depends. Mediums are frauds. But "hearing voices" is a real phenomenon (even though the voices are not external).

13. Idol Registered Member

In some points they are synonymous: if hearing voices is pathologic telepathy is, too. If having visions is a disease, clairvoyance is, too. Medicine does not draw any differentiation between psychic and psychotic, as, of course, the latter is not proofed and you will say of course there´s no proof as it does not exist.

Dywyddyr wrote: "So what? Yes, some people firmly believe the "psychic stuff" exists, but not all are schizophrenic. And vice-versa."
    Not vice versa? Because schizophrenia is an unprecise and inaccurate category.

14. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

define crazy... and don't use the internets definition.. define what crazy means to you?

15. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Um no, telepathy doesn't exist.

Neither does clairvoyance.

Of course medecine differentiates. "Being psychic" is not classed as a medical condition.

Correct.

Your point?

16. Emil Valued Senior Member

I believe that schizophrenia is not directly related to violence.
    Some people have violent instincts others do not.
    Those who have violent impulses,one can control by reason and others can not control.
    If schizophrenia alters reason,violent people who have schizophrenia,may have a violent behavior.

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

what are "normal" people and just how are they any different than those with any mental problems? 3 out of 4 people are known to be mentally challanged , where do you stand?

18. Doreen Valued Senior Member

It seems like people diagnosed as schizophrenic are more likely to be violent. Of course being violent is much more likely to get you in situations where you are diagnosed. Further, the type of violence tends to be minor - see the second study - and direct. IOW when they are violent it is direct and interpersonal. The most violent people in the world generally have other people kill and maim for them. And these people only get diagnosed later in history by the people who defeat them.