Doreen-"real" beliefs.???

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by cluelusshusbund, Jul 4, 2010.

1. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Me... i thank the universe is deterministic... so i dont thank thers such a thang as "free-will (uninfluenced choises)... an yet i live my life as if i actualy have free-will... an i also dont thank thers such a thang as "me/consciousness" (a controlin entity inside the body) any mor than i thank thers a controlin entity inside a calculator... an yet i use words such as "I an "Me" an have the sinsation of "consciousness"... but i say these ant beleifs i have... it jus seems to be whare the evidence ponts... an if i saw evidnece to the contrary my opinions on these issues woud change accordinly.!!!

---------------------
    http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2576348&postcount=77

Doreen---"my sense that many people - theists, believers in the paranormal, atheists, completely secular believers in science people, etc. - think that their beliefs are what they want their beliefs to be. The words in their heads that they give the official stamp of approval to.

This allows a cake and eat it too situation, where for example you can express judgments of people 'in a free will context' and then claim you really don't have these beliefs"

[end of quote]

So when you say "beliefs" above... do you mean "opinion"... or ideas set in stone that wont change in spite of evidence to the contrary.???

An when you said this about various people:::

"think that their beliefs are what they want their beliefs to be."

You'r sayin that they are lyres an/or delusional or insincere at the very least (or somptin else?)... but how do you tell the diference between those poeple an people whos beleifs are real... an how do you define a "real" belief.???

For esample... i juge people all the time in a free-will context... but intellectually i know ther behaviors are beyond ther control... incidently... thats why i dont thank people "deserve" punishment.!!!

So what do you see thar... lyes... delusion... a real beleif... somptin else.???