Neanderthal Genome...

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Kennyc, May 7, 2010.

1. Kennyc Registered Senior Member

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/328/5979/710

http://arstechnica.com/science/news...aft-done-indicates-interbreeding-occurred.ars

Genome hints humans, Neanderthals rolled in prehistoric hay

This news has been in the works for several years, from the first reports of gene sequences in 2006 to a public overview at last year's AAAS meeting. Today's issue of Science now contains the final product: the first draft sequence of one of our recent human relatives, the Neanderthal.

There's lots of information here for the genomics obsessive, which we'll get to later, but there's also some generally significant findings, including evidence that the ancestors of some human populations interbred with Neanderthals.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

From Scientific American

Wow, that's some amazing research. This has been such a contentious issue for quite a while and now it seems to have been settled. We've interbred with the Neanderthal species. Are they truly a separate "species" then? Seems more like kissing cousins

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I've often looked at a few Norse-like/Viking/Scandinavian people and thought to myself... you know, these people look more Neanderthal than Homosapian....

It's an interesting story on the path of human development. I wonder what these genes encode for? Girth? Stamina? What? Maybe nothing?
    As an aside, I find it interesting to think that sub-Saharan Africans may be more "pure" homosapian. I'm not sure if "pure" is the correct adjective but it's still an intriguing idea. Even this idea of all these human-like creatures working in competition and cooperation is fascinating.

From New Scientist
    Maybe we're not really different species at all :shrug: just a slightly different human.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I STILL think this is an amazing discovery

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.