What makes a person neurotic?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Aria84, May 6, 2010.

1. Aria84 Registered Senior Member

It is said that a neurotic person is the one who wants to have other's love for his or her own only,I wanted to know what are the main things that you think can cause a person to become neurotic?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

Where did you find that definition? That is NOT my understanding of the term.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Aria84 Registered Senior Member

I'm iranien and I know an Iranien psychologist who perhaps is the most famous psychologist between the iraniens at the moment,his name is Dr Farhang Holakuee.I heard this m from him in one of his radio broadcasting programs,that there a woman was talking about his boyfriend and she said that she had broken up with him for a month and that time she had found another parhner but again she had returned to him and had seen that he is not satisfied with what she has done and tells her that she has had infidelity aganist him,and Dr Holakuee told her that this may be a sign of a neurotic person,because a neurotic person wants love of the others absolutely,and he told her to check him for that,it seemed to me that it was something that worried him

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

Could just be a misunderstanding. He was probably referring to making quick decisions like the one you described.

8. Aria84 Registered Senior Member

No,I think not.He just said it,and also I myself I'm slightly neurotic,and I think that it's true John

9. John99 Banned Banned

Yes but he was describing this:

Which does indicate neurotic behavior and on the surface is not that bad but quick decisions on important matters like that can be bad.

That is why i said you must have misunderstood him because you thought he was referring to this:

I am not a psychologist but from what i have seen all people do things that can be considered neurotic.

10. Aria84 Registered Senior Member

You want to say that all the people who act in this way are not neurotic, maybe in a time someone act in this way but this can not be a sign of neurosis,it's right?

11. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

Sexual jealousy is not neurotic. It is a normal part of human make up. Now, there is a form of sexual jealousy that is neurotic, because it is extreme. However, for a guy to be upset because his girlfriend has been in a physical relationship with another guy - hell, that is just normal. If he tried to kill her for it, that would be abnormal.

The word 'neurotic' can have many meanings, and can describe many different behaviours. But each must be different from the human norm.