Mental illnesses

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Aria84, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Aria84 Registered Senior Member

I think one of the causes for some mental illnesses is the conflict which exists in the unconscious mind,I wanted to know if it exists what are the main things that can change and turn over the unconscious mind from the way that it should be?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. River Ape Valued Senior Member

It would assist if you would suggest the type of mental illness you have in mind? (No double-entendre intended

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sandy Banned Banned

I think the cause is focusing on/obsessing over the wrong thoughts. If you keep your mind pure and clean you should have no illness.
    Other causes can be genetic/biological, stress-induced/environmental.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dredd Dredd Registered Senior Member

There is the phenomenon of individual mental illness, but also meme-complex sized group mental illness.

Some of the group think is criminal insanity it turns out.

Both have a similar aetiology but must be treated differently, and must be treated more effectively in the future.

8. Aria84 Registered Senior Member

For example "Neurosis" River ape,the "Neurosis" are the results of unconscious mind's conflicts but what can cause the "Neurosis" to forme in the unconscious mind?

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Steel and Brown, on Freud

That's actually a really broad question. I would recommend a couple of sources to help basic exploration of the issue.

More fun: The Mark Steel Lectures, "Sigmund Freud" — via YouTube; Part 1, Part Two, Part Three (approx. 10 min. each).

A bit less fun: Brown, Norman O. Life Against Death: The Psychoanalytical Meaning of History. Middletown: Wesleyan University Press, 1959. (There is something of a study guide or summary available from Psych-Culture.com, but I would expect the book to be available through various public libraries, or used copies available through online sellers or university bookstores. There is a 1985 reprint still in circulation, as well.)

The benefit asserted of psychotherapy is that the so-called "talking cure" allows a patient to work out the conflict between the primal and civilized selves on his or her own, which is a vital component of mental health. In such cases, neuroses cannot be dicatated to resolution. Rather, resolution can only be achieved through recognition by the patient. That is, a psychotherapist can tell you time and again what the problem is, but until you see and reconcile the neurotic components of your own faculties, any resolution accepted will only be temporary, and the conflict will seek another route to the surface.

10. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

What Tiassa means here is that until you see the psychologists' point of view, you will not obtain a passing grade.

11. Aria84 Registered Senior Member

Thanks to you all dear friends