US troop deaths double in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jack_, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Jack_ Banned Banned

Why does the war monger Obama continue to fight in Afghanistan when the taliban did not attack us on 9-11?

Why do the Obamafolk suppot this?

As Harry Reid said, the war is lost.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100327/D9EN48U80.html

When will the democrats stop assassinating folks from space without a trial?

Have we returned to the middle ages under the democrats and Obama?

It’s easy to understand the appeal of a “push-button” approach to fighting Al Qaeda, but the embrace of the Predator program has occurred with remarkably little public discussion, given that it represents a radically new and geographically unbounded use of state-sanctioned lethal force. And, because of the C.I.A. program’s secrecy, there is no visible system of accountability in place, despite the fact that the agency has killed many civilians inside a politically fragile, nuclear-armed country with which the U.S. is not at war.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/10/26/091026fa_fact_mayer#ixzz0b1sgVmsF

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Probably because the Taliban gave Bin Ladin a safe place to plot and organize attacks aganst The United States....that would be my guess.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And why is it you only want to accuse Democrats and Obama for using drones to kill enemy targets? Republicans under George II and his merry band of Republicans did the same thing. So why single out Democrats and Obama?

Additionally, who said the war in Afganistan is lost? Certianly the George II administration did not do a very effective job of fighting the war in Afganistan. They let Bin Ladin and company espcape from Tora Bora.

Obama has made very signficiant progress in advancing the war in Afganistan. He has killed more enemy and made signficant changes in how the war is fought. Given that he took responsiblity for fighting the war just a little over a year ago, he is going to need more time. But thus far I am pleased with how things are progressing. I believe Obama intends to be out of Afganistan by the end of his first term if not earlier.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

Recently I ran into a buddy of mine who just got back from his 3rd tour in Afghanistan. He informed me that looks can be very deceiving, and that the Afghanistan soldiers are the most formidable foe that the US army has ever faced.

He mentioned that the Afghan soldiers are positioned so high up in the mountains, that they're always being be shot at from an elevated position. He also said that they can operate at heights that the US soldier simply can't. My friend reminded me that those people have been traversing those mountains for a 1000 generations, so they've all but alleviated any susceptibility to elevation sickness. He also said the average afghan solider can carry an impossible amount of payload on their backs while their ascending to those insane heights. He also mentioned that the tunnel systems in those mountains are so vast, it's almost impossible to rid them of enemy soldiers. He said what they're doing is waiting us out just like they did the Russians.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They are used to uninvited guests from hell who outstay their welcome.

8. desi Valued Senior Member

If Obama ritually sacrificed children would you say anything bad about him?

Your apparent fanboy status discredits you.

9. JAtkinson Registered Member

Deep down inside, I think you're a Republican.

The effectiveness of the war in Afghanistan has increased due to Bush's previous achievements in Iraq. The focus has shifted and Obama is reaping the benefits. Nevertheless, it's great when you're not fighting a two front war.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Care to back that up?

What effectiveness?

What benefits?

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

desi why do you have a problem with reality? Your comment about sacrificing children is simply without merit and demonstrates your disconnection with reality.

Just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they are a fan of anything other than the truth. If you can show something is wrong with President Obama, please do so. Until then try to keep yourself tied to real events and truth.

The truth never discredits anyone.

12. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well actually JAtkinson there was a time when I was a Republican. But I have become so very disgusted with where the party has gone since george I. They say one thing and do another. And when it comes to morals, despite their claims they have none.

I like little things like honesty, fact and reason. I think george I and george II were such poor servants of the public and poor canidiates, they took the party to some very low places. And I think history will bear me out on that.

As for Obama reaping the benefits from Iraq, to some small degree that is true. I think Obama's pressure on george II (threatening to end the war in Iraq) forced george II to do something different in Iraq...the infamous surge. Which did free up troops to go to Afganistan. But that is not the only reason why Obama is more successful in Afganistan. Obama changed the Afganistan strategy...wittness the new game plan Obama adopted in Afganistan 9 months ago. Obama rejected the military's first plan. He wanted an integrated plan that addressed social, political as well as military issues in the region. And I think we are starting to see the fruits of that plan now as Pakistan is much more a partner in this war.

Bottom line is george II bungled both wars. No one can doubt that Osama Bin Ladin was allowed to walk away from Tora Bora. And no one can deny that george II was left with his pants down after our troops took over the country. He had no game plan after defeating the military. Certianly dismanteling the police and military was stupid to say the least.

And I think we all know that in Iraq the war was sold to the US citizens based on a false premise.

ps Sorry about the Wildcat loss yesterday. They came close to the final four.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  13. desi Valued Senior Member

You don't seem to criticize Obama regardless of what he says or does. That makes you a fanboy. On numerous occasions I've agreed and disagreed with what Obama has done. You seem to be a one note Johnny depending on whatever note Obama is humming.

14. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well if you supported President Obama on something it has missed me. I do support what President Obama is doing on a number of fronts. I think the man has done and is doing a lot of good. Has Obama been perfect, certianly not. But I have never known a perfect man. And Obama stepped into a nightmare when he took the oath of office. The economy was crumbling. We were loosing almost a million jobs a month. Banks and several major industries were on the brink of collapse. In addition, we were fighting two wars, and Obama has a opposition party who will say anything and do anything to defeat him regardless of the impact on the nation. So the man walked into a very difficult situation. I certianly could not have done any better.

Do I think he could have done things differently and better, yes. But I have the benefit of hind sight...he does not. We all make mistakes. And I tend to forgive people for making good faith mistakes - especially if they learn from them. And thus far it appears to me that Obama is learning from his mistakes.

I think a lot of work remains to be done on healthcare reform...especially on the cost control side. If Obama fails down the road, I will be right there to say so. But until that happens, I will keep my powder dry as they used to say.

15. Jack_ Banned Banned

While your man slaughters the innocent and assassinates folks from space, folks that did not kill anyone or commit a crime are arrested.

http://detnews.com/article/20100328...n-FBI-raids-linked-to-Christian-militia-group

It’s easy to understand the appeal of a “push-button” approach to fighting Al Qaeda, but the embrace of the Predator program has occurred with remarkably little public discussion, given that it represents a radically new and geographically unbounded use of state-sanctioned lethal force. And, because of the C.I.A. program’s secrecy, there is no visible system of accountability in place, despite the fact that the agency has killed many civilians inside a politically fragile, nuclear-armed country with which the U.S. is not at war.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/10/26/091026fa_fact_mayer#ixzz0b1sgVmsF

U.S. Admits 100 Civilians Died in Afghan Raids
    Published: May 7, 2009
    WASHINGTON — United States officials acknowledged Thursday for the first time that at least some of what might be 100 civilian deaths in western Afghanistan had been caused by American bombs. In Afghanistan, residents angrily protested the deaths and demanded that American forces leave the country.

www.nytimes.com/2009/05/08/world/asia/08afghan.html?_r=1

We are God's partners in matters of life and death," Obama said
    www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0809/We_are_Gods_partners_in_matters_of_life_and_death.html?showall

16. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I don't know what you are trying to say. But, in The United States the government doesn't go around willy nilly arresting people. They have to have a cause before people are arrested and when people are arrested they have to be charged...minor details I know...but important details none the less.

You have not proven that the milita members in question were unfairly arrested. And it was not Obama who arrested them. The arresting officers were just that officers of the law...civil servants doing their job. You have not even proven President Obama was aware of the arrests. You may be suprised to know that President Obama does not have to clear every action of each the 2 million or so federal work force.

Two the Predator is just one tool in a big bag of tools being used to persecute the war in Afganistan. A smart person would use the right tool for the right job. One tool is not appropriate for every job.

If you think otherwise, you ain't getting close to any of my mechanical stuff.

17. soullust Registered Senior Member

last i checked obamba didn't start the war, we all did, and our armies need to be there, to keep stability, with uot them iran would take over.

do you want that ?

18. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Yeah? Well I've met Canadian soldiers coming back from Afghanistan with stories about individuals single-handedly sniping hundreds of Taliban, also from elevated positions. No doubt the savages are tough. So are our boys, and at least our boys aren't stupid enough to charge into the open thinking some magical sky fairy is going to protect them.

19. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Naturally though, the Tabliban will be able to fight us for a very long time if they truly wish, because there is a large supply of stupidity within Afghanistan as well as in certain oppressive countries next door. Frankly I think our biggest challenge is finding a peace partner who isn't addicted to heroin, that's what will bring us down in the end.

20. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

Because the military said they didn't want all of their sacrifices to be in vein. So they insisted that Obama finishes what your hapless selection couldn't.

Because they hate us for our freedoms.

He actually said that about Iraq, but nice try.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100327/D9EN48U80.html

Until the war against terror is over. Meaning never.

Yes, things were much better under Bush.

21. soullust Registered Senior Member

Things were better under bush:bugeye:

i do hope your joking...

It's funny how everytime democrats inherrit an unpopular war that the republicans originated, they try to say why are the democrats causing all of these problems, when history has shown the democrats finish what the republicans start, and get our boys home.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010