We, the US, not doing as well in the tech race as we could

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Alien Cockroach, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Alien Cockroach Banned Banned

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/25/AR2010032501796.html

Our accomplishments in nanotech over the past few years have been lackluster and incredibly slow-moving. Although science is a slow process by nature, our progress in the tech industry needs a shot in the arm if we are going to compete out there in the cold, cruel world.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pinwheel Banned Banned

What are you suggesting, state funding?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Alien Cockroach Banned Banned

To get us ahead in the tech race, yes.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

http://www.nanotechnologydevelopmen...ed-states-world-leader-in-nanotechnology.html

I wouldn't worry anytime soon.

8. Alien Cockroach Banned Banned

Excuse me, but I would rather us be bullish in our competition with the rest of the world. Besides, tech spending stimulates the economy.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I suggest state funding for education to the graduate school level.

10. Alien Cockroach Banned Banned

In fact, a lot of states already proudly give a huge discount for students attending in-state. If you take the Pell grant into account, you are basically attending free besides textbooks and housing. Admittedly, graduate-level textbooks cost a king's ransom, but even under Bush you could net some sweetheart research grants from Uncle Sam if you could show yourself to be capable of living up to it. Graduate students are really the backbone of scientific research in this country, by the way.

11. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

We, the US, not doing as well in the Prostitution race..... I suggest state funding...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

We, the US, not doing as well in the Flying Car race...... I suggest state funding

We, the US, not doing as well in the shit-in-an-empty-lot race.... I suggest state funding

We, the US, not doing as well in the smoking weed race..... I suggest state funding

We, the US, not doing as well in the making marbles out of eyes race.... I suggest state funding

We, the US, not doing as well in the using your shit as fertilizers race.... I suggest state funding

Instead of wondering why, all you guys can think about is 'state funding'-

Peace be unto you

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Last I check, We, the US, were doing rather well in those races, even despite the government's best efforts.

13. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

Why are we in a race for technology? What's the prize if we win? If it's airport x-ray security scanners and identification chips to "keep us safe" I'll just content myself with tying rocks to sticks and hitting shit while I grunt.

14. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Money, power, influence, envy, etc.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Lack of funding for education is the "why". At least one of the major ones. Also, the decline of respect for science when the space race ended.

16. Alien Cockroach Banned Banned

I disagree. I think that people were very excited about information technology during 1990s. The Information Superhighway really captured people's imaginations. There was undercurrent of enthusiasm also over the Human Genome Project, and the whole face of science has changed as a result of it. One thing that has gone a long way in capturing the public imagination, as of late, is interest regarding neurological disorders. Outside the life sciences, I think we are getting closer to making some giant leaps in the applications of nanotech to resolving our energy problems.

Well, with the Democrats back in power, I think that there is a fair chance we can get some real money flowing into the sciences again, putting us more than just a few scarce steps ahead of Europe in terms of technological innovation and scientific research.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010