The Politics of Speech: Coulter and Canada

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tiassa, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The Politics of Speech: Coulter and Canada

Glenn Greenwald sounds off:

I've written many times before about the evils of "hate speech" laws that are prevalent in Canada and Europe -- people being fined, prosecuted and hauled before official tribunals for expressing political opinions which the State has prohibited and criminalized. I won't rehash those arguments here, but I do want to note a particularly creepy illustration of how these laws manifest. The far-right hatemonger Ann Coulter was invited by a campus conservative group to speak at the University of Ottawa, and the Vice Provost of that college sent Coulter a letter warning her that she may be subject to criminal prosecution if the views she expresses fall into the realm of prohibited viewpoints:

Dear Ms. Coulter,

I understand that you have been invited by University of Ottawa Campus Conservatives to speak at the University of Ottawa this coming Tuesday. . . .

I would, however, like to inform you, or perhaps remind you, that our domestic laws, both provincial and federal, delineate freedom of expression (or "free speech") in a manner that is somewhat different than the approach taken in the United States. I therefore encourage you to educate yourself, if need be, as to what is acceptable in Canada and to do so before your planned visit here.

You will realize that Canadian law puts reasonable limits on the freedom of expression. For example, promoting hatred against any identifiable group would not only be considered inappropriate, but could in fact lead to criminal charges. Outside of the criminal realm, Canadian defamation laws also limit freedom of expression and may differ somewhat from those to which you are accustomed. I therefore ask you, while you are a guest on our campus, to weigh your words with respect and civility in mind. . . .

Hopefully, you will understand and agree that what may, at first glance, seem like unnecessary restrictions to freedom of expression do, in fact, lead not only to a more civilized discussion, but to a more meaningful, reasoned and intelligent one as well.

I hope you will enjoy your stay in our beautiful country, city and campus.

Sincerely,

Francois Houle,

Vice-President Academic and Provost, University of Ottawa

Personally, I think threatening someone with criminal prosecution for the political views they might express is quite "hateful." So, too, is anointing oneself the arbiter of what is and is not sufficiently "civilized discussion" to the point of using the force of criminal law to enforce it. If I were administering Canada's intrinsically subjective "hate speech" laws (and I never would), I'd consider prosecuting Provost Houle for this letter. The hubris required to believe that you can declare certain views so objectively hateful that they should be criminalized is astronomical; in so many eras, views that were most scorned by majorities ended up emerging as truth.

(Boldface in Greenwald)

And he goes on, as Greenwald does.

But one wonders, just what is the line, and can Coulter be reasonably expected to see it? See, it's part of the reason Americans are so sensitive about the idea of stupidity. It's a catch-all for the offensive, if applied correctly. Sure, Coulter is offensive, but she's also something of a moron. She's not entirely stupid, since she manages to work her perversity for fame; indeed, it is hard to believe that so singularly idiotic a character isn't deliberately contrived. The problem, of course, is the effect her character has on the public discourse. Plenty of people are stupid, and consider her in some way sincere. Yes, this is a headache, but there is a difference between what I might bandy about in terms of criminal irreponsibility and the idea that someone might actually try to enforce it. I mean, this is Sciforums, where some people wear their ought-to-be criminal irresponsibility like a badge. Yet it is ridiculous to think that such idiocy routinely qualifies as illegal. There are specific cases that arise, no doubt. But no, as a general policy, I cannot imagine how boring this place would be if Ann Coulter was verboten.

Indeed, in that spirit, we ought to compile a compendium—can you do that?—of Ann Coulter's greatest hits.

Er ... um ... okay, I don't have any, because I learned to ignore her a while ago. I would have to go fish at WikiQuote, so ... um ... er ... yeah.

Notes:

Greenwald, Glenn. "The creepy tyranny of Canada's hate speech laws". Unclaimed Territory. March 22, 2010. Salon.com. March 23, 2010. http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/03/22/canada

"Ann Coulter". Wikiquote. January 11, 2010. Wikiquote.com. March 23, 2010. http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Ann_Coulter