Will healthcare reform make job changes easier?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Alien Cockroach, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Alien Cockroach Banned Banned

Nancy Pelosi was asking us to envision an economy where you can go out and start up a business, if you want to, or take up photography or something ignorant like that, whatever kind of line of work you may decide later in life you want to do, without worrying about the possibility that suddenly their healthcare needs would be unaffordable due to breaking with their former employer.

I know there is something wrong with a system where employers are giving their employees on-board health coverage instead of a salary that might give them enough to pay for their own health coverage. Obviously, in a high turnover job, you are not going to have health coverage when you actually need it, when your body starts needing more attention to keep it from breaking down. You obviously won't be able to continue having health coverage if go on to become self-employed in some capacity. A lot of people might not like hearing it, but a low-salaried job with health insurance is really cutting you a raw deal unless you really are interested in staying in that position for the rest of your employed life instead of perhaps doing something different with yourself. Eventually, you are going to come down with diabetes or some other "pre-existing condition." I am not entirely sure how this system works, but I have the impression that older adults are normally going to find it more difficult to get health coverage to keep from having to pay for their medical expenses out-of-pocket.

Now, I am not really sure about the accuracy of all that I am saying, here. Forgive me, but I don't really know everything there is to know about this subject matter. One thing that is pretty clear to me, though, is that Acid Cowboy actually sneered at the idea that it might be a good thing for the government to do something to grease the skids for people trying to get into a different line of work, saying, "it's not the government's job to help you get into your fantasy career." Actually, Cowboy, I DO consider it the government's job to help ME live up to my full potential, so go hang yourself. There is nothing that I despise more than a washed-up has-been who wants to deny a younger generation something just out of envy.

Anyway, my question is this: what exactly is there in the healthcare reform packages being discussed that might might make it easier for people to change jobs or their career paths? If Pelosi was just talking about her own ideals on things, that is one thing. But was she referencing some section in one of these bills that I am not able to find?