i wanna create my own country

Discussion in 'Politics' started by scifes, Mar 15, 2010.

1. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

what international laws govern the birth of a new country, assigned a new name, land, rules?

have there ever been any?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bishadi Banned Banned

ask Georgia

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

or Kosovo.

Basically it starts with getting people to recognize you.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pyrophage Registered Member

well, i think It may be easier in the long run to create a new autonomous region largely divorced from the federal govt.

That's really what I want to do, though I know that my ideal state would come under fire for three reasons despite being even more free, democratic, and egalitarian than the US.
    1) It would cost the us about 2-5 thousand citizen's worth of taxes annually
    - that's about the optimal population for this model of govt.

2) It would spawn a huge debate of the meaning of the right to bear arms
    - I would ban all lethal weapons, that still allows for tasers and such but the NRA would have a fit.

3)It would set a precedent for other separatist and radical groups to 'quasi-secede' and may be seen as a long term liability.

To do that you would need to set yourself up so that you had decent political connections and then use that to guarantee a charter from the local and federal authorities that would promise much more freedom than the average municipality or town plus exclusive privileges. Then get capital and build your state while making nice w/ the federal govt.

As to a totally sovereign state, the best way to go would be arcologies in int. waters, Antartica, or buying a private island and then gradually renouncing your responsibilities and citizenship.

8. desi Valued Senior Member

You need land. Maybe claim one of the big floating garbage dumps in one of the oceans. Make a port there for some business. You could make it a party town friendly to the US Navy as well as people trying to hide money from the tax man. Top it off with some internet gambling servers. You could set yourself up real nice there.

9. kira Valued Senior Member

As far as I know, there is no such international law (yet). Possibly a country needs:
    • a well defined geographical land
    • a population
    • a set of constitution/law (with a defined head of state)
    • a recognition from the UN

So far, the smallest country (by today's population) in the world is:
    • Pitcairn Islands (population = 50), but it isn't a sovereign state. It is recognized by the UN as a non-self-governing territory.
    • Vatican city (population = 826), a sovereign state.

10. Blindman Valued Senior Member

Principality of Hutt River in Western Australia. They declared war on Australia in 1977 over TAX and postal rights and won several days latter. All you need is balls

I visited on a family trip in the mid 1970's. Hot, dusty, and out of the way is all I remember.

More info from wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Hutt_River

11. kira Valued Senior Member

Same happened with East Timor, it was part of Indonesia before it declared independency 11 years ago.

12. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

East Korea has always been independent.

And has always existed. Always.

13. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

There are some treaties. For example, the US signed the Montevideo Accords in the 1930's, wherein they basically agreed not to recognize a country that gains its independence militarily (Article 11)---which is a bit ironic, if you think about it. This document has only been signed by a few countries, though.

14. kira Valued Senior Member

Hemm... thanks for info!

Me thinks if there will be other international law which is signed by many countries (say, UN countries), it will not be useful anyway, because most part of the lands on earth have been claimed by existing countries, and the rest which are not belong to specific countries are -under international law- to be shared under common management practice (such as ocean after certain distance from countries' territories, the antarctica, the moon, the space,etc.).

15. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Check out 'Sealand'

16. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Well there are still disputed territories, like Abkhazia and Kashmir. And the fact is that a lot of countries which were former colonies won their independence by violent revolution.

17. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

so there's no defined process or criteria, we're in the 20th century and we still don't have rules for the birth and death of countries, man won't people of the future laugh on this "barbaric" era

so i just do it and see what happens? if it looks like a country, acts like a country, smells like a country. then it's a country. that it?

hmmm, so far the floating garbage dump is the most plausable, buying an island in international waters is a super idea, but needs money, an armed uprising followed by a declaration of independence(which seems the most popular and effective), but.... i still don't know what to start an uprising for nor where...

btw, why was pakistan successful in declaring independence from india and kashmir not?

18. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

19. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Partition

Because the governing authority (i.e., Britain) decided to fuck everyone over when it was clear they were losing India. So they drew an imaginary line in the dirt and said, "Hindu on this side, Muslims on that side. Go!" It was a complete clusterfuck, of course. Many died. Over twelve million were displaced. That was George VI on the throne at the time. I only point that out because it was George III that pissed away the American colonies.

But Pakistan came into being as a result of deliberate action on the part of the colonial governing authority.

20. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

21. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

If the Occupiers are the 99% then could we call them a Marconation ? I think I will google Macronation and see if I get any hits

O.K. then whadi come up with : Macronations are recognized states

Lets try Meganation then ? Maggy I think I got something to say to you . Its late September and I think I should be back in school . I laughed at all of you jokes . O.K. O.K. song time later Back in a flash

Note: is the Internet called a type of nation ? O.K. I'm going

Dilop Hiro ? Anyone know him ?

Some fun stuff for Meganation and it was a new coined phrase from 2007. I have not found any information earlier than that yet . More looking is in order . Interesting ? yes

It is kind of freaking Me red car a little . I just heard the song painted black by the stones for the first time . Fuck Me . I mean I heard it plenty of times before , but I heard it for the first time today personally

Back again < the phrase is coined as representing China and there conquest of over taking the U.S. as the world power . Fuck the thing is they got a lot of cheer leaders . China = Mega-Nation

O.K. whimsical time of red car = Game = some quirks of freakyness " Mega Man X8 Neoseeker Fuck me ! What are you all trying to say ? Is it Me ? Whadi do ? It is not my fault . Jesus did it not Me . Blame him

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  22. Emil Valued Senior Member

Perhaps to the Moon? :scratchin:

23. Telemachus Rex Protesting Mod Stupidity Registered Senior Member

There is. See here:

http://www.ejil.org/pdfs/9/3/664.pdf