What should be done with Sex Offenders?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ElectricFetus, Mar 5, 2010.

?

What should be done with sex offenders

1. Should be lock away forever.

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. After prision should be segragated into locked communities.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Should be physically castrated before release

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Should be treated by psychological and psychatric means before release

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  5. Repeat offenders should be locked away forever.

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  6. Nothing diffrently from other criminals

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Sex offender recidivism rate:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Treatment effect on recidivism:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sandy Banned Banned

Anyone who intentionally/maliciously hurts an innocent child should be put to death. They have no use on earth. They are so mentally fcked up it's horrifying. I don't buy any of the lesser repeat offenses by those treated. We can't track all of them. It's impossible. I don't mean consensual sex between minors. I mean perverts/predators who ruin kids for life. Fry 'em. Seriously.
    My vote choice is not included on your list. It would be "castrate them without anesthesia and then fry them without it". Seriously.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Cruel and unusual punishment?

Fetus---are these US numbers or what? What are the numbers like in Europe? Japan?

Obviously the American justice system needs some reforming. For example, take the Dutch. As I understand it, if you get arrested for a drug offense, the arrested is put in rehab instead of prison. Addiction is treated as a disease there, not as a behavioral problem that can be corrected. My guess is the same is true for sex offenders. Sex offenders (rapists, child molesters, etc.) typically have some sexual trauma in their histories. They should definitely be removed from society, but throwing them into general lockup doesn't really solve the problem.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sandy Banned Banned

No. There is no punishment great enough for one of these maggots. They are the lowest of the low. I put them and terrorists in the same catagory. Fry 'em.
    I agree with rehab for first-offense drug users but that is not a deterrent. They will probably relapse. Dealers should go to prison for life. Or be deported to their home countries. They are ruining lives.
    Sex offenders are maggots whever they are. That's why I think they should be fried. They have no use/purpose on earth. They have chosen to destroy lives. They have chosen to obsess/focus their thoughts on the perverted and then act on them. They have chosen their fate.

8. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Try to separate your personal feelings about the subject, love.

The problem (admittedly) with rehab is that the person to be rehabilitated needs to want to be rehabilitated. But the attitude that ``they will probably relapse'' is probably hurting a lot of people in society.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

First I'd chemically castrate them.

Second they would spend a minimum of 25 years in jail, depending upon the severity of their crime against the child.

Once released they would be monitored weekly by tracking devices.

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

That raises a good question, did sex offenders choose to have such perverse desires, or did forces outside their control wire their brains like that?

As a technocrat the ultimate solution would be cybernetic corrective surgery where any impulse based criminal (aggressive/violent, sexual or addictive) merely have an array of electrodes inserted into their brains to convert them into living Buddhas with a hard work ethic. of course to make such a thing viable would require extensive experimental surgery, so I feel inclined to allow such things on high level criminals by force despite the high risk of brain damage: its not to punish them but fix them into productive members of society, and if many of them end up lobotomized oh well, in this case the means justify the ends. And with enough people like sandy around who are willing to forgo any constitutional or human rights for these people it should not be that hard to get access to them for experimentation.

11. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Ok.. this might be a first that I am feeling the same way as Sandy.

I have to agree with this statement though.

If somebody sexually abused one of my children, no punishment would be enough. I would have to restrain myself from killing them myself.
    If death for them isn't an option, throw them into the general population and let them feel what its like to be raped.

12. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

All that costs the taxpayers too much, and they aren't worth the air they breathe.

13. sandy Banned Banned

Are you defending them??? These freaks don't want to be rehabbed. They go to avoid jail. They want children. It's not just an attitude that they will relapse. It is fact. Most go back to hurtin kids. I stand on my opinion that they need to go. Humanity has no use for them.

Of course they choose to focus on/obsess over kids. You become what you think about and they think about children. They put their sexual desires on kids and then act on them. Go ahead an experiment on them. No anesthesia necessary. They don't deserve any rights. They gave up any/all rights when they hurt a child.

14. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

There is a high chances the offender would be a close friend, family member, even you.

Approximately 60% of boys and 80% of girls who are sexually victimized are abused by someone known to the child or the child's family (Lieb, Quinsey, and Berliner, 1998). Relatives, friends, baby-sitters, persons in positions of authority over the child, or persons who supervise children are more likely than strangers to commit a sexual assault.

http://www.csom.org/pubs/mythsfacts.html

Worse still what about those put to death for wrongful convictions?

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

How do you choose your sexual desires? And if cybernetic behavior correction implants were developed enough to reduce crime rates in criminals to equal or lower then the general population would you be willing to forgo any conventional punishment for criminals (prison, death) and simply have them imminently forced to be given one of these cybernetic lobotomies?

16. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I know that in a lot of cases it is done by someone they know. Does that change my mind? Just because my brother, uncle, best friend etc. molested them wouldn't change my mind. They would be dead to me after that happened and they deserve the same punishment as if it was a stranger IMO.

( You are talking to a Mama Bear here, and I would do anything to protect my children or punish those that abused them.)

17. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I could understand if say a family member murdered your children, but exactly how much damaged does molestation do to a child? Considering how many of these people grow up to have productive normal lives I would say not much, sure they have some repressed memories about what uncle bob did to them, their sex lives may be negatively effected, depending on the nature and frequency of their abuse they may have other psychological problems, but none of these seems as bad as say murdering someone.

18. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I'm not defending anyone.

I'm only saying that rational policies are never the product of hysteria and rash judgments.

19. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I don't know how widely it's broadcast, but it is available on iTunes: I would recommend listening to Dr. Drew sometime, who is an expert in addiction. The people who call into his show who have problems with sex addiction are almost all of the time survivors of some sort of childhood abuse.

The point is that early exposure to sexual stimulus, sexual trauma, and sexual abuse all lead people to have an unhealthy relationship with sex in their adult lives. This includes sex offenders.

So while I am far from a bleeding heart liberal, I can't condone any cruel and unusual punishment, i.e. chemical castration or execution, when it comes to sexual abuse. It's just not fair to execute or castrate someone for what amounts to something that isn't their fault.

20. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Actually the recidivism rate of sex offender is somewhat lower than average for felons. The average recidivism rate for all felonies is around 65%, while sex offenders are "only" around 40-50%.

21. TBodillia Registered Senior Member

I agree with Sandy...to a point. Stick a needle in their arms and send them on their way.

But then again, I don't believe in LWOP sentences or ridiculously long prison sentences. If you expect them to die in prison, the sooner the better.

But of course, our justice system is pretty screwed up. Criminals don't fear going to jail. Innocents can be arrested & locked up. Cops, judges, DAs take bribes. But still, I'm all for the death penalty for all major felonies. Even minor ones like bribing public officials or accepting bribes.

22. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I have a problem with locking away prisoners forever, I just see it as a waste of money to put a prisoner in a cell and provide free food, medical, exercise facilities, etc for the rest of their natural lives. I would much rather have prisoners forced to work. Nothing to harsh, put them at an accessibly line making nuts and bolts, etc, give them choices between different types of slave labor depending on their behavior, keep them well fed and healthy, etc. If they don't work shock them with electroshock collars. Heck if the collars are reliable enough you can have them work out in the open picking crop and such like an old fashion chain gang, and if they get to far from the warden an automatic proximity detector will zap them.

I disagree imprisonment for life, I agree with slavery for convicts for life though.

Shit I'm going to start a new thread about this.

23. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Haven't you ever seen any Conan movies?

If you put people in work camps, they become strong, break out, and destroy society.

Talk about dumb ideas...