Thread of favorite Actors.

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Rick, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Rick Valued Senior Member

So this is the thread where you can tell about your favorite actors,and why do you think so that he's the best...

For me

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

i dont know how he does it.i dont know whats the magic.i dont know whats so special about him.but with each performance he seems to show a different shade,a different person.he is just great.he has a typical attitude a style which he exudes via his performances that is simply mind boggling...

Be it Charles A billionare in "the edge" or a serial killer in "THE HANNIBAL" or a butler in "The Remains of the day"
    he fits them all.he is none other than Anthony Hopkins.

i remember the time i saw "The Edge" i thought Alec was great but Anthony was the best,He is one of those few actors who can mould himself into the charracter.if he's playing a serial killer he"ll look like one.if he is playing PLAYING PICASSO HE"LL LOOK THAT ONE...

bye!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

My choices

I'll name my current favorites because there are new ones on the horizon all the time.

Denzel Washington - never lets me down with his acting.

Kevin Spacey has just joined the list (after his performance in Outbreak I had a feeling he was moving up).

Gene Hackman - although a later starter, has always nailed his character in movies.

..... uh-oh... I've gone blank, I can see faces but can't remember the names.

See if we get any more takers and I'll add to my list.

Do we have a limit?
    Teri

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rick Valued Senior Member

Oh yes...yes...not to forget Denzel Washington...just great...

bye!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John Como Registered Senior Member

Jack Nicholson, deNiro, Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, Turturo, travolta (and several women whose names escape me). All kinds of wonderful actors out there. But as my son (a movie buff) points out, look to the director if you wanna see a good movie. To which I would add: the decline in good movies stems from a lack of good scripts and a pandering to the lowest common denominator (U.S).

John C.

8. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

To John,

I agree with your son. I have become interested in who is doing the directing these days also. Since we're on the topic of directors, I can never fathom Robert Altman films, and I was wondering what you (or your son) thought about his movies?

Cheers
    Teri

9. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

Juliette Binoche and Ralph Fiennes are my all-time favorites.

Audrey Tautou was superb in my favorite film of last year, Amelie.

Michael

10. Magenta Nihil est incertius volgo Registered Senior Member

11. John Como Registered Senior Member

Although I don't consider Anthony Hopkins "dreamy", he too is one of my favourite actors (as were John Geilgud, Anthony Bates, Marlon Brando, Audrey Hepburn, Barbra Streisand, Anthony Perkins, Laurence Olivier, John Barrymore, Peter Lorre, Bette Davis, James Mason, Johnny Depp, Charlie Chaplin, etc.) and yet all my favourites have appeared in some terrible movies.

As for directors - and my son would agree - Robert Altman was prolific but mediocre. The only work of his I remember well is The Last Mile in the early '50s and Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean in 1982, plus a TV drama also in the 1980s on the Caine Mutiny. Over the past few years, my boy has redirected my interest in really fine movie directors, such as Jarmusch, Kubrick, Fellini, P.T. Anderson and Scorsese.

Peace and goodwill on this glorious Monday Jan 7.

12. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

Some actors have now come to mind that never seem to get the credit or recognition they deserve - Robert Duval, Morgan Freeman, James Woods - to name a few. It's a shame, because these guys have given some amazing performances but are always overshadowed by the 'big' names in the business.

It must be frustrating for an actor of the calibre above to make all these wonderful movies but never get that elusive Oscar.

Ah, the movies - what would I do without them? I can escape the realities of life for a couple of hours at any time I choose. Keep them coming.

Cheers
    Teri

13. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

One that comes to mind is Shirley Maclaine, I loved her in Steel magnolias. Then Patrick Stewart, I think his name is ( Picard) .

Last edited: Jan 8, 2002
  14. Meghan May all beings be happy Registered Senior Member

I go mostly by the directors also. For comedy - Mel Brooks. Terry Gilliam is awesome and well as Tim Burton and David Lynch. As far as actors/actresses are concerned, I like everything Kevin Spacey has been in, Johnny Depp aslways seems to choose awesome movies. And Brad Pitt mostly because he is Hot, but I do like his movies like 12 monkeys and Seven. There are more but I can't think right now. If I remember I'll post again.

15. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Benicio del Toro - all the way!!!!

16. Ana Registered Senior Member

I like him but I don't know his name!

I like this one guy who's appeared in several movies lately...

he was in A Thin Red Line
    he was in Angel Eyes (JLo's mystery man)
    he was in Count de MonteCristo (main character)
    he was in Frequency... (son of Quaid)
    he was in Pay it Forward (druggie)

He was pretty convincing in all his roles, not to mention he's quite handsome I think he's the next BIG star....like um, whatshisname..Mel Gibson.

17. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Yes Bebelina! Patrick Stewart allll the way!!

I also think that Harrison Ford can really play excellent roles when they involve deep emotion like romance and sarcasm (Empire Strikes Back, any of the Indiana Jones movies).

I forget his name but there's a fairly new fellow on the scene, maybe his name is Guy Pierce but he was in Memento (which was at the very top of Ebert's ten best of 01 list), he is also in (I think) The Count of Monte Cristo and in the future (pun intended) The Time Machine.

Wait-just read Ana's post, maybe he wasn't in COMC, but I know the guy you're talking about, he really made frequency a great movie. Also Russel Crowe (even though Proof of Life really, really sucked). I'm really getting into Ian Mckellan too, he was great in x-men and even better in LOTR.

18. Teg Unknown Citizen Registered Senior Member

I agree! His performance in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was the pinacle of creepiness.
    I must also agree. Picard or Xavier, both are very good.
    Don't forget that stunning performance in American Beauty. I agree again.
    Three wonderful performances: LA Confidential, Gladiator, and now a Beautiful Mind.
    Don't forget his breakout role: LA Confidential.

Is it any wonder LA Confidential was such a great movie? Kevin Spacey, Russel Crowe, and Guy Pierce. Sometimes actors do make the movie.

19. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Well, I saw some disgusting brittish gangsterfilm with Benicio( totally overrated, not even cute...) involving a dog who gets a baby toy stuck in his belly, so he makes tweeky noises when he barks.

Brad Pitt on the other hand has proven to be an excellent actor in film after film, and he´s cute too.

He was in the same film, but the character was sort of a rip off from Fight Club, but that wasn´t Brads fault, it was the directors.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2002
  20. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Bebe,

Your talking about Snatch. One of my favorite movies. Well, I do agree that Brad Pitt is a very good actor also. And his looks - well you know!

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

My favourite are:
    Christopher Lambert
    Jackie Chan (sp)
    Antonio Banderas
    tht guy in highlander (is he A.B.)
    Schon Conery
    Harrison Ford
    Lusia Liu (sp)
    Bruce Wiliss